Saturday, November 29, 2008

Joel Osteen on the economy

"If we can stay positive and hopeful, God will bring us through to a better day."

This quote, from the latest issue of Christianity Today, shows that Joel Osteen flunked Grace 101.

He also apparently blames the great depression on people who were, well, depressed. While I do think that a fair amount of the economy is a head game and that if we keep in mind that the economy is fundamentally sound (where have I heard that before?) things will go better for us, I also think that if God was giving us what we deserved then I wouldn't have a computer at all - I certainly wouldn't have a mac. :) This isn't about what we deserve. God has a plan for us - just as he had a plan for Joseph - and I hope that it doesn't involve me sleeping in a homeless shelter but, even if it does, God will still be with me.

So, Rev Osteen, I disagree with your assessment. I think that God has already seen us through to a better day - it's called Easter. The rest is just gravy.

No comments: