Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Gravity | Love by Sandra McCracken

I’ve mentioned how much I like Sandra McCracken before when I reviewed her album The Builder and the Architect. That album was a detour from her usual folk/pop style and I loved it. Now, less than a year later, comes her newest “regular” album, Gravity | Love.

Simply put, this is one of the best new albums of the year. McCracken’s writing is at her usual high standards, the singing and playing are great and the production is well done without being too slick. Every time this album comes around in the CD player in my car I enjoy it. A lot.

The opener “Head over Heel” is a joyous reflection on love which has a catchy melody and great singing and playing. "Broken Cup" is a song about materialism which manages to make it's point without being preachy or holier-than-thou. There are a number of great songs on this album – there isn’t a stinker in the bunch – but my favorite has to be “Goodbye George” a wonderful tribute to George Harrison which uses a number of lines from George’s songs and some musical quotes as well. The first time I heard it I immediately played it again. Great stuff. While I still have a great big soft spot in my heart for Builder and Architect, this may be Sandra's best album yet and that's really saying something.

So do yourself a favor and surf on over to www.sandramccracken.com or to www.myspce.com/sandramccracken and check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when john and paul left the ashram at rishikesh('68) someone overheard john say to paul about the Maharishi: 'no matter how high the throne there still sits but an arse' george was well out of earshot when this exchange took place.

sincerely,
the local fuzz who patrols morgan's pharmacy,asbury elementary school and Jensen's hardware store

Anonymous said...

i love what SirPaul said to Larry King when larry asked him if he was a good guitar player: "oh the best,man"

best,
the spectral arpeggios on side b of 'abbey road'