Wednesday, March 08, 2006

'Girl Meets God' by Lauren Winner


I finally got to finish reading Lauren Winner’s wonderful book Girl Meets God. Quite simply, this is one of the most well-written books that I have read in a very long time. This memoir is a series of short meditations on various aspects of life and faith which seem like what one gets if a very literary person does stream of consciousness writing. It’s clear though, almost immediately, that this book is not just a jumble of random thoughts. Winner’s writing is crisp, elegant and insightful. The arrangement of the various episodes in the book help us get to know her, understand her faith journey and learn things about God’s word and about ourselves along the way.

Winner converted to Orthodox Judaism as a teenager and, while studying in England, converted to Christianity. Her understanding of Christianity is formed by her rich background in Judaism, her love of literature and books and her ability to see things as bigger than they appear. It’s really intimidating to write about such a wonderful book – I feel like I should just say very little because I don’t want my writing to be held up to her standards. So I’ll just suggest that this is a book that is really worth reading. One of my all-time favorites.

No comments: