Saturday, July 30, 2005

A DVD Birthday

I scored three DVD sets for my birthday yesterday. All TV show sets. First my kids gave me the first season of Arrested Development, which I had never seen before. They were convinced that it was something that I would like after Bethany saw a few episodes and they heard my brother talk about it last weekend. I've seen the first six episodes now and it's pretty funny. It reminds me of the Office in that I think it will get a lot funnier when I've seen it a couple of times and start noticing the funny stuff in the background (like Gob shredding bread in a paper shredder).

I also got the first season of the Bob Newhart show, one of my all-time favorites. I watched only the first episode (not the pilot, which wasn't broadcast until about a third of the way into the season). At first I was a little disappointed that the video transfer wasn't crystal clear like I was accustomed to on DVDs but then I realized that I was watching 30 year old television and this was just the way it was. Then I watched and laughed through the first episode. Many of the characters I came to know and love were there right from the start. Great stuff.

Finally, I also got Season Two of West Wing. This is such a fine show that I just couldn't resist adding to my collection. I haven't watched any of it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

So Happy Birthday to me. I'll enjoy these presents for many weeks.

1 comment:

Ryan Henderson said...

Bob, you are in for a treat. I just became officially addicted to Arrested Development this weekend. "Ahnyoung!"