Wednesday, July 20, 2005

James "Scotty" Doohan dies at age 85


Here you can read a report on the death of Montgomery Scott, the chief Engineer on the Starship Enterprise. As a fan of Science Fiction in my youth I was absolutely thrilled to have a new show which actually took science fiction seriously. I remember being in middle school at the time and watched every Star Trek episode and film through the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. It was only the recent Enterprise that really didn't capture my imagination. I've apparently moved on to more serious things. I watch a lot of Alias and the Simpsons now.

But Scotty was the quintessential engineer. The guy who made it all work, who could build a radio out of a couple of toothpicks and chewing gum, who made the ship "fly" no matter what the Klingons did to it.

He was a lot of fun to watch.

No comments: