Thursday, February 02, 2006

Greetings from St Louis

Greetings from St Louis

I am sitting in the Renaissance Grand Hotel in St Louis at the APCE (Association of Presbyterian Church Educators) conference.  I’ve had a nice time so far although most of my best things have to do the people I’ve met instead of the sessions I’ve attended.  I have enjoyed seeing the Gateway Arch and I’ve had great meals with Laura and with others from the Conference.

I heard a fascinating talk by Susan Linn from the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood.  Some of their stats regarding marketing targeted specifically to young kids are mind-boggling.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Bob,

Another conference? Whew!

As to the CFCFC, yep. I studied a wee bit of this in grad school. Children are exposed to appalling amounts of marketing (the extras on the Super Size Me DVD teach us that). Even a few kids I know who never watch TV know who all of the characters are. How does this happen?!

Older kids are actually hired by certain companies to promote the brand to their friends via blogs, chats, and parties. There's a DVD on this, too, but right now it's name escapes me. (GOT IT! "Merchants of Cool."

Makes you want to move to Walnut Creek and learn to play the fiddle and have your kids chase fireflys.

Safe travels!
M.