Wednesday, March 09, 2005

things Bethany wrote: Apocalyptic Pacificsm

In her latest blog entry, things Bethany wrote: Apocalyptic Pacificsm, Bethany once again does a nice job of the kind of synthesis which she is so good at. If you haven't read her post yet you should probably do that first.

Go ahead, do it now. I'll wait.

OK, I have not yet read Dark's book (which is actually Kent's fault, since he borrowed Bethany's copy over Christmas vacation when I had hoped to read it) but it seems to me that U2 is nearly a perfect example of the kind of Apocalyptic art and living that Dark refers to. (Besides, it's been a couple of days since I worked U2 into a post and though I should.)

I also wonder if Tori Amos is very slowly (very very very slowly) getting there. Having been raised as a Methodist, she deals with some issues of faith in her new album, The Beekeeper. Sometimes I think she's just loony (Original Sinsuality? oh, please.) but she at least trys to look at what it means to come from a background of faith and apply it to the world. Now if she would only take the next step...

2 comments:

bethany said...

actually, Kent had Eats Shoots and Leaves. Somebody else had my Everyday Apocalypse. Else I just forgot to bring it home. You can read my three page summary response whenever you want...

Anonymous said...

While you're waiting to get hold of a copy of Everyday Apocalypse, there's a chapter from Dave's new book in the latest Books & Culture (and on the CT website).